"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have"
Thomas Jefferson

Friday, January 2, 2009

Senate

The word Senate in New York State can send shivers down anyone's spine these days. Either the appointment of the person to replace the Hil in the US Senate or the leadership battle in the New York State Senate, either way Senate is so widely used these days it is the first word spoken by new born babies in New York. The word Senate is even part of Governor David Paterson's New Year resolutions, his resolution: "It's to try not to talk about the Senate."

The Governor has rejected the idea of a place holder for the US Senate seat until the next election, therefore the pressure on him remains. Paterson is faced with the pressure of appointing neophyte Caroline Kennedy with a thin political resume or pull someone else off the bench who has a more in-depth resume such as Andrew Cuomo, regardless Paterson's decision against a place holder to fill the seat puts the pressure squarely on him. The New York Post covers it here

The New York State Senate leadership will heat up again, likely Monday. Gang of Three members are receiving pressure from specials interest groups to buckle and support Malcolm Smith. The groups are only targeting Ruben Diaz and Pedro Espada, not touching the ring leader Carl Kruger. Amazingly they fail to realize the first thing you learn in this business is to count heads, they need all three for the majority. They are unlikely to land Diaz with this pressure, not to mention no chance at Kruger.

Here is a You Tube message to Diaz, which will only push the Pentecostal Minister further away.



In case you needed more proof that Diaz will not budge on this issue, here it is. A letter Diaz responded with to all his constituents, "NO - To Budget Cuts and To Homosexual Marriage in NY"



 

4 comments:

Danny M. Francis (Eyepublius) said...

Gov. Paterson should do the politically unexpected and appoint me -- a person who would do a great job for the people of NYS and the nation just like I did for 20 years as a Marine and 20 years as a DOD civilian all over the world serving the public in a variety of key positions dealing with the military: operations, wartime service, intelligence, education, contracting, and recruiting.

(FYI: I sent him a couple of emails expressing my interest and availability) ... and yes, I am ready.

Anonymous said...

I'd vote for Dan Francis in 2010 as well. And I'll bet he wouldn't be under indictment, the subject of investigation, suspected of money laundering, influence peddling or anything of the sort. I'll bet he won't have property hidden overseas to avoid taxes, like Charlie Rangel. He wouldn't be playing in men's rooms like Larry Craig. He wouldn't be getting under the table mortgage deals then hiding it like Chris Dodd. He wouldn't HAVE to lie about being shot at.

Ahh, it makes too much sense. No self respecting party line hack would consider such an honest move.

Danny M. Francis (Eyepublius) said...

Anon 7:10... When I read your comments, I had to look around the room to see who Dan Francis was?

Thanks... I wish more people felt the same way -- IMHO -- they might even like me, too.

Anonymous said...

I didn't say I liked ya, Danny. I said I'd vote for you, and that you aren't a crook.

Actually, I did kind of say I liked ya.

But you know, butthead. You will never make it in this kind of political climate. You haven't mindlessly followed party line crap. I disagree with you on a lot a stuff. LOTS of stuff. But you think for yourself. That isn't allowed much nowadays. Not with people who adjust their ethics to fit their political bias. I can take the disagreement, I just can't take party loyalty over being a citizen.

You're dead and stinkin' Francis. But I'd vote for you.

Live Blogging