- Family - at this point in his career why do it. He values is time at home and having to work Monday through Thursday in Washington and trying to travel 11 counties Friday through Sunday would be grueling; he would not be home much.
- His poll numbers are down (along with 61 other Senators), which would make this campaign an up hill battle. The NRCCC early release of an ad likely prompted a quicker decision by Aubertine in order to shut down the ad attacking his vote on this year's budget. The strategy worked.
- Negative ads were already running and this would make it his 3rd strenuous campaign in 19 months. In this case again the NRCCC strategy worked.
- Dede's poll numbers are good and show her beating Aubertine. He did not want to run a campaign against her, one in which undoubtedly he would be required to attack her. Once she was chosen his decision was easy.
- Threats from NYC bosses in the State Senate put him in a must win situation if he ran.
- (fill in the blank)
Now the Democrats have to emerge from the back room and get bogged down with some silly open process. (insert sarcasm) like the one the Republicans went through. Clearly they were caught off guard by this decision.